Monday, February 5, 2007

Working in the UK as a psychiatrist

After training in India, and working there for more than 5 years, you find that none of the training back in India is recognised here. To be honest, although a lot of importance is given to academics and research in the UK, it is restricted to a handful of people.

I found that the training back in India is more stringent and of very high standards. Adding to this is the load of patients that one gets exposed to, when training in India.

Finally when you apply for a job here, you are asked questions like, why did you want to take up psychiatry/ why do you want to pursue a career in psychiatry/ what qualities do you have to be a psychiatrist??

Well... I may have had many reasons for the above questions, when I started my training in psychiatry 6 years back. But as of now, the best reason for wanting to pursue a career is the fact that I dont want to start training as a surgeon or a medic after so many years and I enjoy what I am doing right now... why??? just like that...

No comments: